Even without a payment gateway or crypto card, there are benefits to paying someone in cryptocurrency. The best of both worlds are blended in the experience when using a payment system:
- Virtually every nation accepts the use of cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin (BTC). This prevents you from having to convert foreign payments into the local fiat currency.
- Your transactions may be processed almost instantly, depending on the cryptocurrency payments service provider. Typically, this occurs when both of you make use of the same service. Even if your transaction doesn’t happen immediately, it can frequently be cheaper with fewer transaction costs and quicker than a bank account transfer.
- To assist you with any technical problems, a cryptocurrency payment service will have a customer support team. When using a custodial crypto wallet to manually transfer money, this isn’t typically the case.
- For many beginning users, using a cryptocurrency payments gateway is easier than creating and maintaining their own wallets.
Although the benefits are obvious, seasoned users may encounter several restrictions when sending payments with cryptocurrencies:
- You have less control than if you created your own wallet. The traditional experience of having complete control of their cryptocurrency is preferred by many people. An intermediary is essentially added to the process by a payment gateway.
- If you don’t use a stablecoin, cryptocurrency prices can fluctuate greatly. The payee may find it challenging to appropriately plan their budget as a result.
- A lengthy registration process with KYC and AML checks may be required. Although they keep people safe, they require more work than making your own wallet.
- To use the services offered by some payment networks, users must pay a fee.
- The use of cryptocurrency as a payment method is still not very common.
People have been using cryptocurrencies to make payments ever since the first famous real-world Bitcoin pizza transaction for 10,000 BTC in 2010. We’ve advanced from a manual method to integrated digital currency gateways provided through FinTech banking and cryptocurrency services more than ten years later. If you want to start experimenting with cryptocurrency payments on your own, find out what services your crypto exchange provides by contacting them.